Youths That Inspire: Shydeia Caldwell

Friday, January 15, 2016


Meet Shydeia 

Its been a while since I've done one of these, hasn't it
As you all should know by know, I am always scoping out instagram pages and that is how I discovered one of the most beautiful organizations that I've seen in years: Black Girl Magik. The name is sort of self-explanatory, and I had the privilege of speaking with the South Carolina based founder, who is 1/4 of what seems to be an amazing team and is also a college senior majoring in African American Studies (yeah, she's poppin). Keep reading to see what this beautiful soul and I discussed.



Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg
Thank you so much for taking the time out to speak with me doll! So, I take it that you are the founder of this lovely organization?

Thank you so much for connecting with me! Yes, I am the founder of Black Girl Magik but I’m not alone. My team and I as a whole have blossomed Black Girl Magik into what it is now. So thank you Co Founder, Na’Chanelle, Social Media Strategist, Sierra King, and Filmmaker, Ariel Watson.


What prompted you or gave you the idea to ever come up with something like this for young women of color?

I created Black Girl Magik simply because our generation lacks positive communication and social skills. I begin to ponder daily on that fact that our form of communication became reduced to 10 second snaps, 140 character tweets, and abbreviated text messages. I created BGM out of longing to connect with my sisters and to re-channel the lost art of communication. And not just any communication, but a positive social engagement.


Are there any women of color that you look up to or admire specifically, that may have inspired you?

They are for sure a couple Girl Bosses that influence me such as Vashtie, Bell Hooks, Elise Peterson, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Solange Knowles.


How long has Black Girl Magik been established?

Black Girl Magik has been established since May of 2015 and we had our first event on July 26, 2015.


Was it hard getting things off the ground so to speak?

Honestly, it wasn’t hard getting things off the ground because the passion & dedication for BGM my team and I possess. We’re natural hard workers with everything we do and I think it shows with our progress in 7 months.


What were some challenges and obstacles, if any, that you faced in getting BGM started?

The biggest challenge for Black Girl Magik is getting other well known woc focused publications to work with us and just outreach in general to publications. But like Erykah Badu says “focus on the present” that’s what I’ve been doing and it’s been paying off.


What is your vision or goal for the organization?


My goal is to be able to implement Black Girl Magik in cities globally and to inspire women of color. I want to have a BGM center in various cities for women of color to gather.

Is BGM only extended to those of the New York area, or will you expand as the time goes on? 

Black Girl Magik was started in New York City but we’ve started our tour this year and will be implementing this space all across the US. So girl reading subscribe to the newsletter and keep up with the website & social media for updates of where we will be next.

(I strongly suggest everyone go take advantage of that newsletter asap btw ♥)

What exactly goes on in the meetups that you all host? 

In a Black Girl Magik Meetup I host a workshop touching on different struggles  women of color deal with, by open dialogue, group exercises, and icebreakers.

How would a young WOC go about joining this sisterhood, if interested? 

Black Girl Magik welcomes all women of color of ALL ages to attend a BGM Meetup. To be apart of the Magik just follow us on social media or look out for the revamped website launching soon to know when we’ll be in a city near you!


Is there a piece of advice that you would give to a young girl growing up learning to love her skin?

I think first “growing” is ever-lasting process so my answer applies to every age learning to love her skin. I would say start by telling yourself “ I love you and you are enough” and surround yourself with positive women. I think positive company is so important as well as positive social media company because they are such a big influence on how we view ourselves.

-
Though may not personally know the ladies of BGM, I can honestly say that I am so proud. Not only because they are working so hard at this beautiful project, but also because they are young focused women, trying to better the community. You can tell that the heart of these young women are large, and that this honestly matters to them and is not just another hobby that has been picked up. So glad I had the opportunity to speak with this doll, before Black Girl Magik sends her and her team off to some far land to encourage other women who don't have such an organization to come to. I suggest everyone follow their instagram (@BlackGirlMagik) and subscribe to their newsletter as soon as possible, can't wait until they come to my city!

Well, that's all for now loves! Tune in next week.

This isn't goodbye, it's see you later, until next time! ♥

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images