Youths That Inspire: Erick Valore

Friday, September 04, 2015

Meet: Erick Valore



If you're a model in the Philadelphia area or New York, no doubt you've come across this superstar in the making. I came across Erick during my venturing into the modeling industry and was truly flabbergasted upon discovery of him. Wouldn't you be? Truly an inspiration for those not only trying to make it in that sort of industry, but for those trying to make a statement in anything. I was honored with a chance to speak with him, check out the conversation below:






Erick, hi! So I won't take up much of your time. I've just always admired you from afar, excuse the creepiness of that. You seem to be such a driven person, how old are you?

Hi Ella 💗, not creepy at all, I appreciate your admiration. Thank you! I am 17 years young.

Really? That's so commendable that someone of your age is so focused on any sort of career at all. A lot of people around this age are still trying to figure out what it is they want to do with their lives, if anything at all. Why did you choose modeling? How did you know that this is what you really wanted to do?

I choose modeling because I know that I always wanted to be involved into fashion. As a young boy I'd always catch myself obsessed with magazines - Vogue, W Mag, GQ, Glamour, etc. My favorite show was America's Next Top Model. I'd also patiently wait for the annual Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. I was a very confident child because I was forced to be, due to my distinct personality and features.. People wouldn't understand me therefore they tried to ridicule me or bully me, however it only made me stronger.  I was always so excited about life and I loved to entertain. At the age 8 I got into acting and I was a professional actor, doing campaigns and local theater shows. I knew that fashion and art were always my first loves, so I joined a fashion program called "DivaDon", the program provided daily photo shoots, and runway training. It guided me to fall in love with the career of modeling and gave me several connections. Posing always came very natural to me, I loved taking photos, I see posing as a body language of art form. However after my very first fashion show, I knew that this career is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. The show was beautiful and with all the excitement of the fashion, the crowd and the runway, I knew that this was for me and that I wouldn't let anything stop me.

Wow, so interesting that you discovered your passion at such a young age. How is it that you're able to maintain your focus and drive?

What keeps me grounded is my ambition to succeed. Every day I pray and it makes me feel free. I saw my mother struggle as a young boy and I promised myself that I'd make something out of myself for her. She's my light and heart.❤️

Aw that's such a humble way of looking at things, not doing it for yourself but for her. Very respectable.
Have there ever been serious challenges and obstacles for you to overcome in getting where you've been thus far? And what helped you overcome them?


Yes actually, being that I am androgynous and I am black and I am 5'10" feet tall, it does get very difficult at times. It's rare for male models to even make it in this business, especially if you don't meet or match all the "requirements" that this industry offers. I've been turned down from several fashion shows based on my height and sometimes even my body proportions. If they don't pick me, it's their loss. I don't take it personal because it is a business. There are many jobs out here for everyone. What helps me over come the rejection or obstacles is that I trained myself to realize that it's not personal and it's not me that their looking at, it's the "product" that they are seeing. What keeps me focus is my ultimate goal.

That's a good way of looking at it, I know I myself have been discouraged from rejection as well but remembering it's about the product is always key.
You're very much looked up to in the Philadelphia community from other young aspiring models, how does that make you feel? Do you ever feel pressured, or obligated to portray yourself a certain way because of it?
Thank you, it makes me feel loved and very much supported. It makes me feel like I've done a good job. I want to inspire people, inspire millions. I always portray myself with a positive image, even when I'm not in the best mood because I know people watch everything you do. I just am myself all the time, to everyone. I never change my
personality for anyone. The key to happiness is to just be yourself and love yourself.
I believe the reason being that people do support me is because I am fearless and I don't pay negative comments, or opinions any mind. That's their issue, not mine. I feel free.
Writing is a love that I have, when I write I feel like I'm taking a break from reality because I can create stories, write songs, poems and anything that comes to mind. Art is also one of my first loves, I love the arts in general. Theater, painting, dance and more. I also am involved with cosmetology. There are a lot of interest that I have, but modeling is the passion.

Writing, love love love it. Completely understand what you meant with escaping reality! Well, in anything you do, I'm sure with your driven mindset you'll succeed. It's clear you allow nothing to stop you or get in your way. As far as goals in modeling, do you have any? Maybe a certain designer you'd like to work for or a magazine you'd like a spread in?

Thank you very much, As a model one of my goals is to be the face of an international brand. Short term goal is to get signed to a top agency and be represented by the best. Of course I'd want a spread in vogue magazine. It's the fashion bible, every models dream. As far as collaboration with designers, my favorites are Balmain Paris, Givenchy, Dolce and Gabbana and Moschino. My goal as a model for the fashion industry is to show the beauty in differences. Show the beauty in diversity in all shapes and sizes. For models with disabilities or shorter models or plus size, I want to show the fashion industry that it is okay to be different and unique. I look up to models such as Andrea Pejic, Chantelle Winnie, Shaun Ross, Co Co Rocha and Cory Wade, because they all bring something different to this harshly beautiful industry. I want to be the male model that breaks barriers for height requirement or appearance. I don't know why there hasn't been anyone to do so yet, but I will do it. I have so much in store.

Coco Rocha definitely one of my favorites! I love those goals you just shared, especially of showing the industry that those with disabilities who those aren't a size double 0 are beautiful as well. Last question love, if you could give any advice to other young models trying to make it, especially in areas where fashion isn't a strong point such as Philadelphia, what would it be?

My advice would be to never ever let anyone discourage you, this business is very difficult to succeed in especially for models because of the wide verity of competition. Never let anyone tell you that you can not be successful, never stop trying and never stop believing. Know your worth and do your very best every time. If this is honestly your passion, your lifestyle, your dream, Go for it! But don't stop because of what others think of you. Be the best you can be!


Great advice! I'll remember to apply that to myself as well. Thanks so much for taking your time out to speak with me Erick! It was definitely a pleasure, hope to speak again soon and good luck with all that you do!

----------------------------------------------

Not only do I hope that many gain inspiration from this, but I gained motivation myself! It's always a mental battle for me to continue on in such a business being as though it can't be so cut throat and discouraging. Thanks to this lovely soul, I gained some extra umph if you will. Never stop pushing my loves! 

This isn't goodbye, it's see you later. Until next time!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images